[TenTec] re: Reciever comparison chart on website

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re: Reciever comparison chart on website
From: k2qo@hotmail.com (Mark Adams, P.E.)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:19:33 -0500
Barry and gang,

I think that W8JI has compared the K2 and Omni 6+ on 160M. At any rate, I
email chatted with W1RFI who heads up the ARRL lab. He says that the devil
is in the details of the test, not the text of the tests as printed in the
Journal. If you look at the graphs in the extended product reviews at
www.ARRL.net, you really SEE how the rigs compare.

Recently, I picked up a used Omni 6, upgrade 3. To make that decision, I
thoroughly reviewed the extended reviews of the IC746, Omni 6, TS570, FT920
and the K2. It was VERY clear to me that the TT and K2 were head and
shoulders above the other radios in terms of RX performance. While some of
the K2's #'s were SLIGHTLY better than the Omni's, one must factor the extra
features of the Omni due to its being double conversion. I absolutely wanted
the notch filter, so the K2 was out. Also, I am an ardent QRPer, but once in
a while I like to ragchew with the DX on SSB :-)

That said, I have used a friends K2 quite a bit and really love it. It is a
phenomenal product to be sure, and the auto-internal tuner is mindboggling!

Your mileage may vary....

72,
Mark K2QO