[TenTec] Omni VI Plus questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus questions
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:04:23 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Floyd Sense wrote:

> Two items popped up in the QST reviews of the Omni VI and the Plus:

> noise, compared to other rigs.  Does the Omni VI Plus use crystal
> oscillators, or a synthesizer? (hard to tell from the published info).  If
> crystal oscillators, why was the MDR test noise limited?

Crystal oscillators, synthesized vfo.  I really don't know about the noise
limited measurements though.

> 2. The receiver audio bandwidth was somewhere in the area of 1600 Hz at the
> 6 dB points.  The audio bandwidth of my TS-850 receiver measured at 2296 Hz.

850 has wonderful audio reproduction for SSB, OMNI VI has a limited audio
amp.  My OMNI has both INRAD 2.8 filters and it doesn't get me much over
the pair of 2.4's overall.  Use of headphones does not improve the
situation by much, maybe because I already use a quality speaker.  The 850
has much more flexibility with SSB audio bandwidth.

I own both the 850 (with INRAD 2.8 in the 455 IF and the Trio 3.0 filter
in the 8.8 IF) and the OMNI VI (with pair of INRAD 2.8's) and the 850 is
sweeter to use for SSB.  The OMNI VI is fine, but just not quite as good
sounding.  Now, for CW, the OMNI VI kicks the 850's butt, though for very,
very strong adjacent signals on 160 the 850 will sometimes pull it out of
a hat better than the OMNI.

I like having them both!

Clark
WA3JPG