[TenTec] RE: Jupiter pros and cons

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Jupiter pros and cons
From: WA2PVK@prodigy.net (WILLIAM F MANSEY)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:10:18 -0500
Hello Fred and everyone,
    I love my Jupiter and have no complaints thus far.  The only "problem" I
have is that occasionally RF gets to it and causes it to change frequency.
This is an intermittent problem and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly HOW
the RF is getting where it does not belong.  I have the remote knob and 705
desk mike which tend not to stay in the same place so it is very likely that
the stray RF is sneaking in through one or both of those cables.
    I would like it very much if the band scope had a "real time" mode
rather than the current arrangement  but otherwise I like that also.
    The bottom line is that I love the Jupiter very much and have never
regretted the decision to order it!  It is, as Ten-Tec stated, fun to use as
well as easy to use without constant reference to the manual.  I "still"
have an Omni VI w/DSP chips and have compared the two.  There is not much
difference in sensitivity that I am able to distinguish.  I am not referring
to lab sensitivity - just perceived signal strength and the ability to
understand what was being said.  I run barefoot and am not terribly
concerned about the REALLY weak stations anyway.
    Technically the Omni is a better transceiver BUT it is in a box while
the Jupiter is on the desk!  Need I say more?
I hope that you are enjoying your Jupiter as much as I am enjoying mine!
(do you have the remote pod?  that makes a big difference in ease of
operation!)   73's;  BILL