[TenTec] Jupiter owners: pros/cons

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter owners: pros/cons
From: Ken & Linda Burrough" <w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:07:17 -0500
Hi Fred

We met in Sevierville last October, that was when you, Don and myself had
Jupiter's on order.  I received mine and loved it.  Using it as a stand
alone rig was great.  After I cabled it up to the computer is when I started
to find out something different.  I liked operating it in the Pegasus mode
better then in the Jupiter mode.  Now the real problem showed up, my
computer is too far away from the radio operating position and I had coax,
long mouse and keyboard cables running around, they really looked bad.  On
top of that, I had to move the monitor closer and it just made the computer
and radio operating positions a mess.

The fix was to trade the Jupiter for a Pegasus.  Now both operating
positions are neat and I can check my e-mail and talk on the radio at the
same time.

The Jupiter/Pegasus are both very nice radio's.  On SSB they work the best,
but on CW they do a good job.  I compared the Jupiter/Pegasus to my Omni VI
Plus with two 500Hz and two 250 Hz CW filters in it.  The Jupiter/Pegasus
can not stand up to the performance of the Omni VI Plus set up for CW as I
have mine set up.

I use an Dell computer to run the Pegasus.  It is an 500 MHz PIII with 256
Meg of ram.  I get NO computer hash in the Pegasus receiver.  I have the
Pegasus about 18 inches from the computer and monitor.  I run coax fed
antenna's and have not had any RF getting into the Jupiter or Pegasus.  I
did rf the Jupiter twice, once loading the amp with the band switch on the
amp in the wrong position and once loading the Jupiter into the antenna with
the TT 238 tuner set up for 80 CW and the Jupiter on 15 meters.  Both times
operator error.

All in all, they both are very good rigs, fun to use and very easy to use.
As I tell everyone, I will not get rid of my Omni VI Plus because it is the
BEST CW  rig made.  But for fun and just rag chewing on SSB, I use the
Pegasus.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio