[TenTec] Re: Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Jupiter
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Ray Campbell wrote:

> I have the new Jupiter HF rig and just purchased an old Hercules 444
> solid state amp and power supply for it.  Now I am told that it won't
> work for this newer rig.  Paul says that it would work for the older

Makes little sense to me.  I had the Herc 444 and drove it with my Kenwood
TS 440 with fine success.  I did not have it QSK but it worked fine.  I
believed the only real "problem" was that the 444 did not handle power
spikes at the leading edge of the drive signal and would shut down pretty
fast.  Of course, the final transistors are no longer available to repair
the rig (well, there are some but Ten Tec says they are way too hard to
match and/or pick the exact right ones) and Ten Tec won't work on the 444
because of that.  Well, I liked mine well enough.  Does the Jupiter have a
leading edge spike?  Have you tried the amp?

The real match for the amp was the OMNI-A, D, B and C rigs.

Clark
WA3JPG