[TenTec] Re: Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Jupiter
From: at060@chebucto.ns.ca (at060@chebucto.ns.ca)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:48:18 -0300
Quoting Ray Campbell <qlz@earthlink.net>:

> I have the new Jupiter HF rig and just purchased an old Hercules 444
> solid state amp and power supply for it.  Now I am told that it won't
> work for this newer rig.  Paul says that it would work for the older
> Omni rigs.  Is there a market for this amplifier?  I have never owned a
> Ten Tec rig, but am very much impressed with this Jupiter.  The amp and
> power supply are really in great shape, and I changed the power supply
> over to the 220 Volt.  Any suggestions at this point would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Ray  k6qlz
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec

The remote bandswitching on the 444 was designed to work with the older
Tentec rigs, so it wont work with the Jupiter. The 444 has an Overdrive
protection circuit that is very critcal and depends on the ALC characteristics
of the driving rig. You can defeat that circuit so the amp will work with any
rig. I did see a mod somewhere on the web that claims to make it work with any
rig without actually defeating the protection circuit. I don't recall exactly
which site I found it on, but if your interested, let me know and I will try
and find it again.

73, Dave, VE1ADH

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server,
 with technical resources provided by Chebucto Community Net.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/         http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/