[TenTec] Magnetic circuit breaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Magnetic circuit breaker
From: N4NT@chartertn.net (Mike Hyder -N4NT-)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 10:04:46 -0400
If your trusty Astron has overcurrent protection, it is in the form of a
fuse -- not adequate.  If you can find a Ten-Tec supply to use you will
really be better off but the magnetic circuit breaker is adequate.  YES your
Pegasus ought have the circuit breaker, too.

While talking about the Astron supplies, ordinarily they did not have the
negative post grounded to the chassis.  Voltage spikes could enter that
negative post, as when one is powering a radio which is not grounded to the
same point as the cabinet of the Astron.  In addition, RF energy could enter
that negative post and affect the regulation of the supply.  The fix is easy
and simple.  Remove the insulators from around the negative post, clean a
bit of paint off the inside of the cabinet around the hole and remount the
negative post without the associated insulators but with lockwashers to
ensure a good electrical connection to the cabinet.

Good luck,
Mike N4NT@chartertn.net