[TenTec] Need Omni VI Serial Port Help/ TTL Help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Need Omni VI Serial Port Help/ TTL Help
From: n4dd@preferred.com (Dennis Brickey)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:56:00 -0400
Hello Guys and please excuse my revisiting this subject.  I went to Radio
Shack
today and purchased connectors and shielded cable in my quest to construct a
Y cable that would allow me to computer control the Omni VI  through the 9
pin serial
port of my computer and also allow me to utilize the Tentec  remote encoder
301.  What I ended up with was basically a mess.  My hands tremble and my
eyesight has deteriated due to these blasted cataracts, so I cannot clearly
see the pins of the 9 pin and 25 pin connectors.  I used magnifying glasses
and flashlights to no avail, and I hesitantly admit to short circuits and
stray wire strands.  Finally, after 3 hours of effort,  I have thrown in the
towel. I had the encoder working but I could never get the computer to
control.  I tried a store bought cable between the  computer and Omni VI
and this arrangement does function properly. Only problem is ..no encoder.
It is truly humbling that at this point, I must find  someone to build said
cable for me or I must find a Tentec 305 TTL encoder.  At this point I'd
consider either option.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

Dennis Brickey/N4DD