[TenTec] DSP Engine in New Rig?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP Engine in New Rig?
From: wo8l@att.net (wo8l@att.net)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:18:40 +0000
Larry,

One of the most cumbersome ergonomic problems with the
Kenwood TS570 is that the device which moves from memory
to memory and from filter to filter are the same knob.
If you take the filters out of line but think they're
still in the line, you tune the knob and change bands
completely.

Some guy in China is sending CW to you on 20 meters but
you're suddenly on 10 or 15 meters. Your offset and
filter settings are gone and the QSO is effectively
over.

Many users also report that the final amplifier on the
TS570 is unforgiving.  On some bands, it folds back
power significantly with an apparent SWR of 2 to 1 or
less.

Receiver sensitivity is only fair, which is in line with
most medium priced DSP receivers.

The TS570's DSP switches at the upper right hand side of
the control panel make the incoming signal sound like
Donald Duck.  QST Magazine's review on the rig reflected
this.  These buttons, labeled N.R. 1 and N.R. 2, produce
very strange and annoying flutterings without positively
impacting reception much.

In addition, the 570's optional narrow SSB filter does
little but change the audio quality of the incoming
signal.  Similarly, the "DSP Cutoff" knobs on the upper
right of the panel don't seem to impact SSB reception
very effectively.  Both of these items have been
discussed in the ham radio media repeatedly.

The 570 has the most effective "Beat Cancel" function
I've ever seen.  It's great on 40 meters.

The battery which backs up the memories is among the
most difficult in the industry to change.  QST has run
a "Hints and Kinks" article on how to change the
battery, but even the user manual suggests returning the
radio to Kenwood to have the battery changed because
it's so difficult to reach.

As a guy who spent 25 years in the commercial
broadcasting industry, I can assure you that the audio
is mushy, especially when narrow DSP filters are used.
It's inherent in the design of most medium priced DSP
rigs because it's a trade-off for those great filters.

Finally, and probably most important, when you call
Kenwood's service center to ask a question about the rig
(my emphasis follows), YOU ARE TOLD THAT SERVICE
TECHNICIANS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ANSWER TELEPHONE CALLS
AND CANNOT SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH YOU.  IT'S AGAINST
COMPANY POLICY!!!!

Consequently, no matter how small the problem may turn
out to be, you are told to write a letter, bundle up the
rig and ship it to Kenwood.

Isn't it nice how the Ten Tec technical number is
answered by folks who actually build and service
radios?  To me, that's worth a lot.

73s,

Rick
WO8L