[TenTec] HF Band CW Praactice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HF Band CW Praactice
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:47:00 -1000
Hi to those interested,

Ok,  found out last night that 80 meters is of no real use;
too early at 0400,  Sun has just set at that time here on
Kauai.  Checking with the W6EL propagation predictor
program shows that 30 meters would be much better;
using 40,  30,  and 20 at this time gives good coverage
out here to all islands listening  on 40 and the 20 and 30
meter bands show good signal levels to W6, W0, W1,W4
with today's solar numbers (flux about 200,  k about 3).
The 20 meter band shows highest signal level across the
US mainlnad from KH6 at 0400 to 0500.  I might up the
power on 20,  have a linear for that band/antenna set
up.

I will have the Corsair II tuned up at 10146 khz,  the Triton
on 40,  and the Omni VI+ up on 20.

Will start again at 0400 UTC (yes I know that is late,  but
W1AW is still sending stuff until then).  W1AW transmits "slow"
code practice beginning at 0200 UTC on Tuesday evening, then
follows that with the 18 wpm CW Bulletin starting at 0300,
closing down at,  or just before 0400,  when my stuff will
start.

Tonight will begin the practice format:  two or three sentences
of clear text followed by random two/three letter words.  I
would like folks to "memorize/ instantly recognize" the most
common two and three letter word sounds!  So,  that drill
begins tonight.  Even if you cannot now copy 25 wpm or
so,  listen to the sounds of the 2 and 3 letter words;  you
might be surprised when you hear "de",  or "rst" or "OM" !
Not difficult,  just takes a bit of practice.  Will repeat everything
all the way down to 5 wpm (but character sounds will come at
a 20 wpm rate).

Hope you will try listening on one of more of the bands;
and I would appreciate signal reports when/if you can hear
the signals.  If  10146 has QRM,  I will find some clear
spot on 30 meters;  you should be able to hear/recognize
the signal,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M