[TenTec] Low Output, Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Low Output, Corsair II
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:19:06 -1000
Wonder what now.  Was sailing along on 40 CW at around
85 watts out;  then it was down to 17 watts!?

Now,  best Pout on 40 CW,  into a Bird dummy load is about
30 watts.  Drive knob fully CW;  ALC knob also full CW. However,
the ALC light goes OUT after the ALC knob turns much past
the 2:30 position or so?  Occasionally the Pout will get up to
37 watts.  Ic on the CII meter reads 10A at 33 watts into the
load.

Best Pout on the other bands into the load: 160, 22W;
80, 22W; 40, 33W; 24W; 20, 24W; 17, 22W; 15, 15W,
12, 22W; 10, 6W.  For whatever use that info might be.

Just 13 months ago I had this unit(561) at TT for check out for low
Pout.  Note which came back with the rig was that they had
resoldered the low level driver board connections,  reset the
AKC and tested all bands as OK.  And this was after the unit
had been at TT just the month before that when it was completely
dead!  List of fixes came back with the first service;  not clear
which particular one actually brought the 561 back to life.

I suspect the age and the shipping across 5000 miles has had
something to do with those early problems after I bought the rig
and had it shipped out here from the East Coast.  But don't
understand how the power can be just fine,  and a few minutes
later be cut more than in half with no movement of the unit on
the bench.

Oh, oh.  That line just gave me an idea;  why not slap this
unit and see what happens.  Just did that----and the  Pout
just jumped back up to 78 watts on 40!!  So,  bopped it again,
just with my outstretched fingers -- Pout jumps up a bit more
to 83 watts??  And the Ic is up to about 14 amps.

Obviously something is loose, not quite right inside,  hi.

I would prefer NOT to ship this entire unit back to Tennessee
again,  but maybe just the right boards

Any thoughts,  suggestion?  My vision is not so good,  so no way
I can get in there and resolder any connections,  hi!  But my
xyl can  if I knew where to aim her!

73,  Jim  KH7M