[TenTec] Too wide a signal....

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Too wide a signal....
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:01:02 -0600
In 1948 I received an OO notice regarding the operation of my AM station on
75 meters.

It reported that I had "modulation on my signal" and should do something
about it.

By and large, the OO's do a thankless job with good grace. I would never
ignore such a report.

We should all try to have a little OO in our operations. The other evening
a fellow club member was using his rig (not a TenTec, sorry) on 40 meters
and emitting a signal with a T7 or worse note. Really rough and raspy.

I had worked him the previous week and reported the problem at that time. I
told him about it again and suggested that he go on battery power. He did
and the T7 note became T9X. His Radio Shack power supply had developed a
problem.

He said that he had had probably two dozen QSOs running off the power
supply since I first told him and no one had mentioned anything about his
signal. And trust me, it was not borderline: sounded a lot like an old
doorbell buzzer!   <:}

--
72/73, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe SOC 262