[TenTec] Re: New Auto-Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: New Auto-Tuner
From: brudtkuhl@prairieinet.net (Chuck)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:50:35 -0600
Jeff, I'm assuming you're talking about the LDG unit.

LDG in three phrases:

Product = excellent
Customer Service = the best I've ever experienced, without caveat
Documentation = what?

If its like the one (RT-11, remote unit) I bought 8 months ago .. the
"how to use" documentation is nearly non-existant .. that is why I wrote
to LDG to find out "how do you use this".  I would suggest you do the
same as their user documentation is some of the poorest I've ever seen
in some aspects (e.g. how to use it) and very good in other aspects.  Me
thinks they need to hire a technical writer.

Their customer service is the best I've ever experienced, bar none ..
absolutely the best.  I started writing them with "how to" questions
after business hours on a  Friday and got a response in 10-15 minutes ..
and continued with questions/answers through Saturday.  Awesome.  Before
I purchased the product in April they exchanged many emails with me
answering my questions.

Here is the response to my specific "how to use it" questions .. this
may or may not be applicable to all radios.  In my case I am using it
mobile with a Scout and there is no "automatic interconnect" to the
radio as may be the case in some applications.
=================================
LDG's answers:

Just transmit RF (AM/FM/CW) and momentarily press the tune button. The
tuner
will find a match in just a few seconds.

If you put the unit into auto mode, it will try to find a match whenever
the
swr is above 3:1. This may not work for SSB as the voice peaks may
produce
false readings.

After you get used to finding out here it will tune and how long it
takes,
you may feel more conformable with the auto functions.

Reset would be for antennas that you know are resonant and do not need
tuning.

It's the same as putting the unit into bypass.
Also, another question left unanswered in their manual ... the coaxial
power connector on the remote head ... center pin is positive, and the
size is 2.5mm x 5.5mm (not carried in stores by Radio Shack).  This
connector should be included with the remote head, but mine originally
came without one.

73 de Chuck
wa0roi