[TenTec] Digital Voice Keyers for TenTec OMNI VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Digital Voice Keyers for TenTec OMNI VI+
From: W8HO@qsl.net (Frank W8HO)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:04:06 -0500
Thanks Nat and those of you who focused on my question about which voice
keyer system would work best with an Omni VI+.

So far the front runners are the ZS4TX which has extensive SO2R ability and
as Nat mentions below--the second option is sound card keying using
Writelog (which I already use for contest logging).  The only problem is
that method requires a separate set of voice recordings to use in
non-contest voice-keyer work and a program to utilize them.  Still, it does
have promise.

In closing let me mention that TenTec has strongly cautioned me against
turning the Mic gain beyond the 12:00 position.  They have stated that it
can cause damage to the audio circuits as well as distortion. (Please note
both of these rigs are less than a year old, this may or may not apply to
older Omnis.)  Finally a caution, anytime you desire to use a dynamic
microphone cartridge like the Heil---you must protect it from the voltage
on the electret voltage pin, such as those on the TenTec Mic, and Icom
microphone connectors.  You can do that with a capacitor, or Heil sells a
TenTec cord for their mics. (This cable only deals with the voltage
protection, not the low drive difficulty.)

Thanks again everyone, and if u have any voice keyers that are working with
an Omni VI+ please let me know.  I greatly appreciate ur thoughtful comments.

73, Frank
W8HO