[TenTec] Re: Tone(s) on Pegasus receive

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Tone(s) on Pegasus receive
From: kayser@sympatico.ca (Larry Kayser)
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:30:59 -0500
Mark:

 >The tone is exactly
 >at the frequency of the CW spot tone, but the spot tone is turned off.

Yes the tone is really there and there are in fact more than one tone in
the Pegasus and Jupiter
audio but under the noise.

 >Has anyone else noticed this or is this problem unique to my Pegasus,
 >indicating that something is out of alignment? Or is this just a case of me
 >being too critical in my analysis?

You are not alone.  I noticed this tone with my Pegasus, checked some
others and found them the
same, ultimately I sent back my Pegasus when the factory had 6 months to
get rid of the problem
and did nothing.  The factory actually did less than nothing, they never
acknowledged that there was a problem and the certainly did nothing to
rectify the problem.  I had invested a lot of effort in Pegasus software
for my work here and I was very disappointed with the Pegasus and the TT
Factory.

I wrote up the issue on this reflector when it happened.  Some of the
participants were less than happy
at any criticism of the Pegasus product.

 From my perspective, a happy Corsair II and Centurian owner, I found the
Scout seriously lacking in the VFO instability problem and the
Pegasus/Jupiter products to be - to be very polite, "marginally engineered"
and a little short of what I expected from TT.

This type of problem is not totally unique to TT however.  I evaluated some
of the products from yacomwood as well and I found similar tones in the
noise in two models by different manufacturers.

Being a certified old fart here, my hearing is down far enough that I have
never actually "heard" the tones, I have only been able to "see" the tones
with DSP software, but the one that bothered me the
most was eacily visible on simple basic DSP waterfall display.

Regards, and good luck

Larry
VA3LK