[TenTec] Re: OMNI VI+ DISCONTINUED - NEW "ORION" LATE SUMMER

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: OMNI VI+ DISCONTINUED - NEW "ORION" LATE SUMMER
From: ke5c@hot.rr.com (John, ke5c)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:05:46 -0600
> Just visited the Tentec factory today to check out the special deals and
yes!!
> That's right guys.  The Omni VI plus has been discontinued and will be
> replaced by the new Tentec ORION.  I have no specs but I did see a
faceplate
> template.  It is going to be AWESOME!!!  The speculated availability date
is
> late summer 2002.  Start saving those pop tops.....

Great name consistency - we were wondering what celestial entity was up
next.  On the one hand, don't fix what's not broken (well, not too badly
anyway), but on the other hand, it's about time.  Anyway, here's my wish
list (not in any order of preference):

1)  No RF spike on keydown to trip out those Alpha amps on CW.
2)  Dual VFO's (or even better, subreceiver with less performance than
primary) with *dual* receive for trying to find where the DX is listening
(no, I haven't worked VP8THU and it doesn't look good).
3)  No birdies on 28 mhz (or 21 either).
4)  More robust computer control for contesting programs (a command to
slowly increase or decrease frequency so you can scan with the keyboard and
not the vfo, esp.).
5)  An even better receiver than the VI+ (after all, this is the next
generation).
6)  Variable bandwith tuning instead of passband tuning - I assume this will
happen with the digital filtering surely to be included.
7)  Transverter inputs in case I decide to do eme again with transverter.
8)  And last, I know I am dreaming, 200W out and maybe forget the Alpha...

Thanks!

73, de ke5c, op john