[TenTec] Split operation, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Split operation, etc.
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:27:46 -0600
Mark Erbaugh wrote:

> Here are my thoughts. I would first tune in the DX station then click a
> button that would lock in the DX station's frequency. I would then find the
> pileup and tune around looking for a frequency on which to call. There would
> be a toggle that would let me listen to the DX station's frequency or the
> pileup frequency, but all the tuning would take place on the pileup
> frequency.

Mark, that is precisely the way my Icom IC-756PRO operates. After locating
the DX station on one VFO, I lock it on that frequency. Then by merely
pressing and holding down a button I listen on the other VFO with which I
will subsequently transmit. When I find the frequency I wish to use, I
release the button and again hear the DX frequency. Keying up or using PTT
or VOX transmits on the second VFO. There are no frequency restrictions
upon the two VFO's - in fact they can be on two separate bands.
Additionally, if I don't want to push the button to listen to the second
VFO frequency, I need only turn up the Balance control until I hear the
desired mix of signals from both frequencies. And I can forego the button
and merely switch control to the second VFO so my finger doesn't get tired
holding it down!   <:}

I also have a Kachina transceiver for which another fellow and I spent some
weeks designing a new control program embodying some new notions for
frequency control and the like. The computer gives tremendous flexibility
and control, but it also forces the user into becoming a slave to the mouse
and keyboard. Further, in the Windows environment, running more than the
control program alone, which is highly convenient with digital
communications and other support programs, requires shifting the Windows
focus to the control program for every change you want to make to the
radio. This becomes very time consuming and frustrating after a few hours
of operating.

Although I now use the TRX Manager program and the MixW program for
computer control of my PRO, I still prefer direct operation with simple
switches, dials and buttons. I am no stranger to computer operation, so
that is not the barrier. But purely as an ergonomic matter, for me a real
control panel such as the PRO uses with its integral LCD display and soft
keys, etc. is a much more workable and comfortable environment than
computer control.

My interest in computer control lies inthe ability it provides to operate
the radio remotely over my Ethernet LAN from my office computer using TRS
Manager to control the radio and Remote Administrator to control the shack
computer remotely. The audio link is provided by an IBM 3330 cordless phone
on 2.4 GHz which operates into the radio mic jack as well as in the telco
world.

Just a few thoughts from one who has been there and tried both approaches .
. .

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002