[TenTec] mikes smikes

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] mikes smikes
From: ny9h@arrl.net (Bill Steffey)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:26:49 -0600
I'll bet the Drake had a lot more low frequency response, you know the kind
of bass response that makes you sound like you're in person. You know the
bass response that carries little of the "information " needed for
articulation.and intellegence.  So if you want great audio use a flat
dynamic or electret... if you want to boost articulation get a mike
(electret or ceramic) with a rising or peaking hi freq response .
http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/526t.pdf
That is just what Bob Heil did. Look at the freq response of a Shure 444 ,
and the Heil elements.... very similiar.
Bob didn't invent the good mic ; he figured out how to sell a mic with an
appropriate frequency response to hams.

Check out the Shure web site and what the freq responses look like on the
450 / 526 and others, then buy a replacement element and roll your own. Buy
enough elements, and maybe Shure will discover they could sell a few
thousand mikes. Shure would have to make a new design that looks like
something newer than the 50s or 60s...

  My good friends at Shure Bros just didn't care about the ham market, too
small I guess.
  For Bob it's a great market !!!