[TenTec] Omni V audio monitor level

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V audio monitor level
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:57:40 -0600
Mark, except for rare instances, most "audio monitors" in analog radios
tend not to give a very good idea of what the final transmitted audio
signal sounds like. The best ones pick off a sample of the transmitter IF
signal and run it through a mixer to restore it to audio baseband so that
you can hear it. This gives a pretty close idea of what is actually being
transmitter. Less useful are the monitors that just pick off some audio
along the chain and present it to the headphones.

Digitally based radios tend to extract the transmit digital data stream,
run it through its own DAC and then present the recovered audio as the
monitor signals. These tend to give the best sample of the actual output
signal.

With any transmitter, I suggest that you use or borrow a second "good"
receiver to monitor you own transmitted signal with both rigs connected to
dummy antennas and with special precautions to avoid overloading the
monitor receiver.

That setup will give you a good idea of what you are actually transmitting
and is recommended by Bob Heil and others as the most objective report you
can get.

FWIW, I also use the ProSet and have no problem with my radios with audio
level, either on receive or monitor. I am unfamiliar with your radio, but
it may be that there is a separate adjustment for the monitor audio level.
On the digital radios, the monitor level is usually a menu item and depends
upon the AF Gain setting.

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002