[TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 17:21:43 -0600
The Scout was planned for mobile where it would get more shock and
vibration. Probably those that move the most need some care in soldering
ALL the components solidly to the board. Then maybe the case needs a bit
of stiffening so it doesn't change the capacitance to the circuits.
Possibly a bit of cleaning on the module connectors would help keep the
counter happier all the time, if the mixer crystal is mixed for the
counter.

I don't have a Scout or its circuit, just applying what I've found in
other radios that have made them jumpy and how I cured them.

Sometimes a blob of Q-dope spilled amongst the parts in the VFO helps
its mechanical stability. Maybe some hot melt glue.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.