[TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 16:14:45 -0500
> I suspect that like many of the TT rigs, the cost of manufacturing the
> Scout had gotten out of hand. I will not be surprised to see that the
Orion
> is a fully SMT, auto-board-assembled radio as that seems to be the only
way
> that today's circuit complexity and density can be realized in the space
> available and within labor cost constraints.

Hopefully so.  My Pegasus and RX-340 commercial DSP rigs are nearly 100% SMD
and auto-assembled.  I have experienced zero product defects with either
radio.  Taking the human element out of assembly line work (outside of QC
inspection points) seems to be the ticket to success.

I believe the Scout was one of the most enjoyable rigs I've ever used.  If
you liked the National HRO, you would love the Scout.  The same PTO
principles and modular band concept applies to each.  As Steve indicated,
the Scout's receive audio quality is outstanding and it is one of the best
QSK radios ever made.   I sold mine a few years ago, but I plan on
purchasing a used unit in the future.

-Paul, W9AC