[TenTec] Internal Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Internal Tuners
From: WT4MB" <wt4mb@bellsouth.net (WT4MB)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:41:16 -0600
I want to throw this in to the mix. I have had good results from the
internal tuner in a Yaesu FT-990, it loads an 80 meter dipole on all bands
quickly (even 160). The dipole is fed with standard coax. Of course it
doesn't perform well on the frequencies where it isn't resonate but it loads
up fine. I also had a FT-900AT that had a very difficult time loading the
same antenna. I think a top of the line rig should include a well designed
(well designed) internal tuner. I also agree that the antenna should be
resonate, and that you will need a high power tuner to use an amp. The
internal tuner is nice for extending the bandwidth (as seen by the radio).
Makes for quick hunt and pounce operation. By the way, I currently operate a
Jupiter without an internal tuner.
I also feel that the "Gold" should go.
73 es cul de WT4MB (Mike) -..-.    ..