[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:29:28 -0800 (PST)
--- cyr999@extremezone.com wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> One thing that I think TenTec is REALLY smart about
> is the flash rom. My 756PRO
> cannot be updated by flash rom. Instead, you get
> stuck with having to buy the
> "next generation 756" and your current generation
> suddenly drops in market
> value. That's good if you buy the one that dropped,
> but rotten if you want the
> latest changes. Icom's practice of doing this is my
> biggest objection to Icom.
> With TenTec's approach you feel like the rig could
> be current for a good number
> of years.

There is a widely held misconception that Flash ROM
alone will make the radio last forever, not true.
Without doubt though it will extend the useful life
significantly in terms of obsolescence, ..... as long
as the manufacture does indeed continue to update the
firmware on a regular basis. Perhaps a greater benefit
of Flash ROM when properly handled is the ability to
add features, functions, and modes after the gear is
already in the field. Again this is dependent on the
manufacturers commitment level to continue firmware
developement.

<snip>

> On the
> other hand it's A REAL PAIN to
> read sum of the "green on black" numbers - too small
> and poor color choice. I'm
> amazed that they cannot make an easy to read radio
> face!

While I really like graphic displays for radios I'm
not convinced that they belong ON the radio. External
computers are simply better suited for that particular
task. The smallish screens on the Icom and Ten Tec
gear will always be struggling to get all of the
information you really want onto the limited screen
area they have and still be decently readable.

Duane
N9DG