[TenTec] Jones filter -- Scout v. Delta II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jones filter -- Scout v. Delta II
From: k9iua@juno.com (Kevin L Anderson)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 02:09:51 +0000
I have a Scout, and so am familiar with the Jones
filter in that radio.  Although I usually don't crank it
in much (it "howls" too much for my ears), I find it
is a good filter at removing the opposite sideband
in CW.

Last weekend I had the chance to use a Delta II
at a friends house during the Wisconsin QSO
Party contest.  The Delta II has a Jones filter also,
but a more sophisticated one with variable passband
tuning.  I was disappointed with this version, as it
let the opposite sideband come through too much
for my tastes.

Why is the Delta II version of the filter not as good?
Does the passband tuning make that much difference,
changing the skirts of the filter or something?  (It could
very well be that I was not using the filter correctly, as
I'm not familiar with radios with passband tuning.  I
had the passband centered, but maybe I should have
shifted it one way or another for CW.)

Any Delta II users out there that can comment more
on the Jones filter in that radio?  Thanks.

Just curious...
Cheers from Iowa,
Kevin, K9IUA
Kevin Anderson, K9IUA, Dubuque, Iowa