[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:26:39 -0600
>From the suggestions I have seen about improving the Pegasus and other
digital radio capabilities, especially the processing of additional modes,
it would appear that there is a general misunderstanding of the
computationally intense burden that such operations imply. The reason that
TT shows no interest in modifying their firmware is that it simply cannot
be done that way and they realize that. Major changes would be required and
the result might have a new name - something like "Orion."

Most digital mode programs use a soundcard with its support chipset plus
the CPU plus a large amount of memory, etc. to develop the signals required
for SSTV, PSK31, etc. operation. To expect that the comparatively
low-powered "peanut" processor in a little rig like the Pegasus or Jupiter
could even begin to do all that is to overlook practical and feasible
limits.

This gets back to the notion and misinformation of "software-defined"
radios. You can never get the rig's processor(s) to do more than a certain
amount of work in a given time. If the designer did his job right and met
his price point goals, he used "just enough" processing capability to meet
his assigned specs. Done right, there is precious little capacity left for
getting more operations out of the processor. So much for the never-ending
series of upgrading rig capabilities through the magic of "firmware
updates." The firmware can never cause the processor(s) to do more than so
much, nor can it do all that some "upgrades" night demand of the
accompanying analog support circuitry.

When radios contain the equivalent of a Pentium IV with half a gig of RAM
and large mass storage, then we will start to see integrated functions in
the "radio" - or should we call it a computer with some r-f circuitry
tacked on?

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002