[TenTec] Omni-6+ RX audio / EQ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-6+ RX audio / EQ?
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:53:34 -0700

> Is it possible to widen the receive audio in the Omni-6+
> beyond 2.4 kHz?
> Has anyone added an EQ to the Omni?   What type?  Thanks and
> 73,  Mike

Hi, Mike,

The suggestions so far put forth will all work, but you will very quickly
hit a limit on the receive bandwidth on the Omni VI which is caused by the
DSP codec always being in the receive path. The DSP is always filtering the
received audio, even when you have noise reduction off.

In particular, you will find that no matter what you do to your filters'
bandwidth or picking off audio directly from the product detector, you will
not hear below about 200 Hz, nor above about 2800 Hz (I am not sure about
the exact upper frequency limit). To extend receive bandwidth outside this
bandwidth, you would have to bypass the DSP circuit. As soon as you do this,
you will have lost DSP NR, LP filtering and auto notch filter and will have
seriously degraded the capability of the receiver.

Someone brought up signal-to-noise ratio. The S/N ratio will actually be
degraded by the mods mentioned above, as is the case whenever you widen the
bandwidth of a system.

Regards,

Al  W6LX