[TenTec] Is Jupiter > Icom 746: what is "quiet"?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Is Jupiter > Icom 746: what is "quiet"?
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:32:03 -0600
many of the Yaecomwood radios will hear a lot of hash and noise on bands
such as 80M where their mixers easily overload.  On my Kenwood 450, I have
to run 80M with the attenuator engaged, a 20 dB reduction in signal level to
avoid this extraneous noise.  I think that is what was meant by a quiet
receiver.

My Ten Tec SWL kit is a quiet receiver compared to the Kenwood on 160M and
80M.   Signals jump out at you, from a quiet noise floor. It is one of the
modern designs with first conversion happening above any of the bands it
tunes, (75 MHz).

73, Stuart K5KVH