[TenTec] I.C.E. BCB Filter does the trick

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] I.C.E. BCB Filter does the trick
From: benk8dit@serv.net (Ben Kadish K8DIT)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:09:03 -0800
I found the filter by calling Jay at Array solutions. The link is
www.arraysolutions.com and then use the products link to I.C.E. for thorough
info. Customer support is excellant.
I want to also explain that while the Jupiter had this problem, my Omni VI
plus, Omni B, Scout, don't have this problem. Because the Jupiter/Peasus are
general coverage and have DSP circuitry, the protection from overload or
Intercept point cannot be present at the same time. The Attn button is the
temporary solution for overload, but in my case there were four offending
stations working to complicate and confuse the in place circuitry. The
images produced by these four separate stations on the Jupiter would rectify
and appear all at once every 10khz along the 160 and 80 meter bands and once
compromised, I lost control of any sensitivity/selectivity provided by the
radio. The BCB filter in effect chops off the heads of the offending signals
at their fundamental frequency allowing the Jupiter's receiver to regain its
Intercept point, bringing the sensitiviy/selectivity back to specs. It could
have been worse in that my local stations are 10kw by day and 1kw at night,
the fourth is a 50 kw blowtorch beaming north. The 50kw station is the
furthest away, 10 miles, but it is the closest to the 160 meter band at
1550khz. Hams that live close in by this station have horror stories much
worse than mine with all their ham gear. One guy reports getting an 11 volt
rfv reading off his tower! Ouch! Incidentally I live in NW Washington state
near the Canadian border.