[TenTec] Rohde & schwarz

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Rohde & schwarz
From: kbourne@earthlink.net (Ken Bourne)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:28:02 -0700
Xavier,

I agree that it's what's inside that counts.  But Ten-Tec is not
selling to the professional communications business.  The amateur
radio business is more consumer-oriented (as far as the marketing
approach is concerned), but with a technical nature (especially for
high-end equipment like the ORION).  If surveys show that a color
display would sell much better than a mono display, Ten-Tec would
need to go with color.  But it's not just appearance or "amusement."
Color enhances operating ease, for quickly differentiating
information on a crowded display.  Although the professional
communications equipment (such as the attractive EK2000 VLF/HF
receiver) offered by Rohde & Schwarz has monochrome displays, their
popular spectrum analyzers (such as the FSU Series) and some other
R&S instruments feature color displays.  See
http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/www/dev_center.nsf/html/fsupara
for example.  I agree that offering a display with clouds or other
weird backgrounds is not elegant, but is distracting and silly.  By
the way, what's your opinion on having a LIGHT color combination for
the panel and case, such as the R&S spectrum analyzer or receiver,
rather than black?

Ken Bourne, W6HK