[TenTec] ARRL reviews

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL reviews
From: mandolinist@interlync.com (Gary Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:05:31 -0500
> I think you can pretty much tell the opinion of the ARRL's staff, both
> technical and non, by reading reviews both literally and "between the
> lines".  Actually, they write reviews pretty much like I write letters of
> recommendation for students: you can tell how positive the letter is by
> *what* is emphasized (i.e., whether it matters) and by how much.  You have
> to write -- and read! -- letters/reviews that way in this litigious age!
>
> 73,
>
> Joe, W2RBA

This sounds right to me.

I had to let an employee go who was a minority. They were never able to work
fast
enough to do their share of the work and both my patients & I suffered for it.
I did my
best to train her to be a team player and do what the job required. She just
wouldn't
or couldn't do it. I couldn't afford to keep her & hire someone else to keep up
her
slack and after her three month trial was over, I let her go.

One of the most difficult things I had to do was write a reference for she told
me the
reason she thought I let her go was because she was of a certain group and
wouldn't
accept any other explanation. Actually, part of the reason I hired her was for
diversity
& I sincerely hoped she would work out. I was always afraid she was going to
sue me
for letting her go or for not giving her a stellar recommendation.

I couldn't lie on the reference and ended up expounding the few positive
abilities that
she demonstrated and left out the essential parts that got her let go. I
couldn't say
she was un-motivated, had an attitude problem and was unwilling to be a team
member without it coming back to me. So, I took the safe way out and anyone who
read the reference could see there was nothing in it which said she was a
valued and
capable member of the office staff.

I suspect that's the kind of dance the ARRL has to play & it's really a shame
things
are this way but litigation relief for reviewers won't improve in our
lifetimes.

What I can't understand is why any company would send out a product out for
review
without making sure it's working 100%.

Back to the Corsair II

Ahh.