[TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:53:34 -0500
Al raises a valid question, but I think the answer is obvious.  Specs are
MORE UNIFORM rig to rig, with modern printed circuit robotic assembly than
in the days of hand wired tube final rigs.  There is probably less variance
in well designed solid state gear, than the tube counterpart.
Semiconductors are bought in bulk and probably are from the same lot, thus
tolerances are tight.  Same goes for other components.  While older rigs had
parts specked at 20 per cent, modern resistors at the WORST are 10 per cent,
and many better.  Caps are better sealed against moisture effects and
electrolytic materials more stable and sealed.  Having been in the R&D and
prototype industry for 40 years, this is my observations.

73,
Stuart K5KVH