[TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Transmit IMD
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:04:19 -0400
My main point is that very sloppy amplifier designs can make IM3
specs close to what some modern radio's produce. Surely designers can
do better than they are!

-35dB referenced to a single tone would be acceptable, but most of
all they should watch higher-order products.

> Is zero-bias synonymous with Class C ????  I was under impression that
> operation of Class C required the amplifying device to be biased
> beyond cutoff allowing conduction for a portion less than 180 degrees
> (typically at the peaks of the input signal -- 90 degrees).  Does zero
> bias do this.....maybe for some devices????.  Zero bias would seem to
> be more of a Class B operation.....Please elucidate.

A transistor is cut-off  when bias is zero, because collector current
is zero.

By definition, Class A is  360 degree  conduction, Class B exactly
180 degrees, and class C anything less than 180 degrees.

A zero-bias conventional bipolar transistor operates class C, since
it takes about .7 volts to put it in conduction.

Class B is almost impossible to maintain, because it has **exactly**
180-degrees conduction. That's why we have class AB, which is less
than 360 and more than 180.

Class B bias would be whatever bias level sets PA idle-current
exactly to zero mA with no signal, and still allows 180-degree
conduction.

With class C, efficiency can range nearly up to 100%. With class B,
in the 75% or so range maximum, and with class A less than 50%.

Other classes with higher letters like D and E have crept in, but
most of them are actually class-C amplifiers. We can easily get 90%
efficiency with class C PA's, if we use harmonic resonators in the
drive and output circuit. RCA did that in the 1950's with a 5kW AM BC
transmitter. Typical efficiency was slightly over 90%.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com