[TenTec] magnetic breakers ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] magnetic breakers ?
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:16:28 -0400
I bought a couple (minimum order) 20a magnetic breakers for my Pegasus.
When I acquired an Omni V, I put one on that. However, I discovered that it
never tripped before the overcurrent protection in the rig did. I have an
LDG AT-11MP and when I activate the auto tune if I forget to back down the
power, the Omni V will sometimes shut down on overcurrent. At least that's
what I assume is happening: something inside the rig shuts down, and the
frequency display digits go blank. The S-Meter back light stays light, so
the rig is still getting some power. Cycling the power switch on the Omni V
resets the radio. This happens whether the Omni V is connected to the TT
power supply or an Astron RS35A.

The question is then. is the magnetic breaker needed?