[TenTec] Re: [dx-list] One Day to Extra Class

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [dx-list] One Day to Extra Class
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:21:29 -0500
Amen, Dave, but let's add one more for old times' sake:

REALLY understand what is happening at every step along the way from the
output spigot of the transmitter to the connection to the antenna via a
transmission line(s) and, perhaps, a Transmatch or whatever, for a line
with standing waves. Not necessarily all the sinh's and cosh's in the
equations, but just a general literal understanding of what is happening
and why.

I doubt that many of us 20-wpm Extras - got mine in 1954, one of first ten
out of Dallas FCC office - could deal very well with that topic unless we
have recently reviewed "Reflections" by Walt Maxwell, W2DU, and/or the ARRL
Antenna Book. Which I have to my great benefit . . .

Your point is very well taken, Dave, re the newer elements of our amateur
technology, but it is still very depressing to see and hear so much
confusion over a subject area that has been well documented and understood
for over 100 years. Especially, since every amateur station uses one or
more of them . . .

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437