[TenTec] specs, satisfaction, and Jupiters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] specs, satisfaction, and Jupiters
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:53:26 EDT
Mention of the Sherwood 9000 brings back some pretty unpleasant memories of
the days when tube type audio gear was going out and transistorized gear was
coming in. For several years you could tell the real "golded ears" from the
fake by the way they acted when you fired up a Scott 260, Fisher, Harmon
Kardon, or some other transistorized HiFi amp. The ones who could tell would
wince and turn the volume down. To off. I sold a lot of tube type HiFi amps
because transistorized amps sounded so bad.

Now, my Jupiter replaced a famous make and more expensive rig right behind my
office desk. I put it there so I could check the bands and run to the house
if something interesting came on. Like YA, P5, or some similar rare one.

But I hardly ever turned the XX-XXX on. First, because it was deaf and it
sounded horrible: second, because my secretary complained about the racket. I
put a Jupiter next to it, hooked it up with an antenna switch so I could
compare, and AHHH, what a difference! I could actually hear DX stations. And
even work them from my office. Even though the ARRL review has virtually
identical specs on the two rigs.

And the audio was, comparitively speaking, wonderful. Both Lisa and I spell
relief J-U-P-I-T-E-R.

Just shows to go you that you should take specs with
a bucket of salt. Just like you should ignore a habitual knocker.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E