[TenTec] Orion Display Choices

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Display Choices
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:28:57 -0500
Amidst the volley of opinions, I have not yet heard anyone mention how the
display affects the rig's performance.

Now, I won't be so presumptuous as to state that 'other' manufacturers
haven't dealt with the problem well, but I've found that use of SOME of my
laptop computers, and other equipment using different types of displays
within proximity to weak-signal recievers and antennas causes a fair chunk
of noise.  For example, my Toshiba Tecra 550CDT has a color display (I
think it's an STN) with some type of a backlight which creates terrible
noises on various bands from 160m clear up to 6m.  I haven't noticed this
problem with the display on my older T1800... of course, it has an
incandescent backlight and a crummy display, but it's easily visible
without the backlight.

I've also noticed that if I leave the GPS reciever (in my boat) on while
it's at the dock (about 80' off one end of my 160m+ dipole), I can hear the
GPS's supertwist display.

Besides cost and simplicity, another possible reason for the monochrome
choice, was to cut down on the amount of crap noise generated close to the
RX, and probably also inside the internal power system.

Or mebbie the T-T boys just figured their customers were KISS-types that
just wanted something simple, straightforward, and a top-notch performer
that could be easily operated by visually-impared (possibly color-blind) ops.

Of course- if you wanted to watch I Love Lucy and X-Files, you'd put your
$3,300 towards a flat-screen HDTV and a satellite subscription...  :-}

Cheers / 73!
DK  :-)

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa