[TenTec] Prices in perspective

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Prices in perspective
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:12:08 EDT
  My word! All the complaints about prices, in a time when the average
family's income is close to $40,000 a year.

According to my 1968 Allied catalog, during the early years of the Nixon
administration, the Drake twins went for $779.00; an L4B for 750, a CDR rotor
for 69.95, a Higain TH-6DXX for 159.95, and a 60 foot EZ way tower for 480.50.

By way or comparison, my local paper for May 6, 1969, lists sirloin at 49
cents a pound, chicken at 14 c/p, Campbells soup 10 cans for a buck, coffee
at 99 cents, Big Macs for a quarter, Caddy El Dorados at $5800, Remington 870
Wingmasters at $84.00, etc., etc..

Then and now,  a luxury automobile was and is a years pay for a working
stiff. Just under $6,000 1969 dollars, just under 40,000 of our 2002
mini-bux.

It took the typical working family around six and a half weeks pay to buy the
Drake twins. At $3300 mini-bux the Orion will cost less than four and a half
weeks of family income.

And the latest ARGO is only 700 bux! In relative buying power, or in the
number of hours worked to pay for one, that kind of money would have gotten
you a Midland 23 channel CB back in '69.

Those were not the good old days. Young u'ns, I kid you not, the good old
days are now.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E