[TenTec] Annotation to prices in perspective

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Annotation to prices in perspective
From: Art" <rtgsdad@mchsi.com (Art)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:07:18 -0500
If the average american household had 2.3 ham radio transceivers, and
production runs were typically in the hundreds of thousands or millions, I
would likely concur with the  comparision to consumer electronics and
computers.

Any suggestions on other reasonably sophisticated goods we have purchased
over the past 35 years that have productions runs as limited as our gear?
It's not that that the goods need to be similar; in fact, due to the nearly
non-existent economies of scale at the design and assembly level (not the
component level), I think our radio manufactuers have done a great job.  TVs
are cheap, stereos are cheap, in no small part because the designs probably
don't differ much from model to model (perhaps even among manufacturers) and
the overhead can be amortized over much larger production runs.

Art
KC2G