[TenTec] Jupiter QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter QSK
From: benk8dit@serv.net (Ben Kadish K8DIT)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 05:24:46 -0700
Depending on what controls you have on, and how high they are set will
result in more or less opaque sounding qsk. At times, I need to turn down
the volume of the sidetone, and at times I need to invoke the attn button if
transmitting, just to keep my concentration. Prior to installing a broadcast
band high pass filter I would get all descriptions of distorted bleed here
and there. But as I have learned and cured problems, I have noticed that dsp
recievers have there own characteristics to adjust to from the Omni 6, or
from other xcvrs I own and operate. For the most part, the QSK works nicely
so that I could deny having a problem, but rf is a many faceted commodity
and sometimes you just dont know what might be working against you when the
note coming from the xcvr isnt what you expected. But if I had a repeatable
problem like you describe, I would suspect that there is some kind of
overload occuring, or it could be the result of a ground loop. Having just
come from field day and battling with overload, desensing and intermod, with
a mix of radios, no Ten Tecs, I reaffirmed that our radios are not household
appliances that can be expected to deliver uniform results in all
environments. The Jupiter is a very nice radio and I continue to marvel at
what it does do well with respect to its predecessors. The first 30 days was
not enough time for me to iron out all the differences in its behavior.
Six months later I'm feeling lots more confident now that I understand it
better, that's a part of the radio art.