[TenTec] thanks for Corsair II/SB-221 advice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] thanks for Corsair II/SB-221 advice
From: WoodMirLtd@aol.com (WoodMirLtd@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:22:56 EDT
Hi all,
  Many thanks to Jim K4CGY, Gary Hoffman, Dick KD4BRL, and another OM who
recommended the Harbach mods (sorry I can't remember the name-XYL was
meddling with the reader and deleted) for the advice on Corsair II and SB-221
compatability.  One experienced toasted T/R relay contacts and another's held
up well (wonder if TT used a relay with higher rating?).  Dick sent a JPG of
a nice interface to isolate the T/R relay contacts without another relay
clattering.  It looks similar to the Ameritron device.  I'm definitely going
to look into the Harbach parasitic supression mod and homebrew Dick's
interface for peace of mind.
  On a related note, has anyone ever made the QSK vacuum relay mod to a
SB-221 or similar amp?
  Last but not least, thanks for all the interesting and educational dialog
on the list.  I used to wonder why TT fans were so devoted until the Corsair
II displaced my ICOM.  Being in a rush to get on the air, an incorrect
connection was made to the external VFO.  It was right before Christmas but I
called TT anyway.  I was immediately connected with a technician familiar
with the Corsair II who ran through the schematic and had an answer within 5
minutes.  He even offered to throw a low signal NPN transistor in the mail,
but fortunately there was one in the junk box.  We were up an runing in about
15 minutes.  Thanks again TT!
vy 73,
Woody   N5ZU . .

multipart/alternative