[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] USB -> RS232

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] USB -> RS232
From: ke4teg@bellsouth.net (KE4TEG)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:37:03 -0400
Hello,

What is the big deal? Just get a USB to serial convertor or buy a USB hub
with the serial port right on it. Or buy a multi-function card for inside
the PC that has serial ports on it. For years to come there will be
backward compatibility because somebody is always going to want the latest
and greatest PC but still want to use a favorite device or card from their
old PC.

I run a laptop in my Company Explorer that can need up to 4 serial ports.
The laptop only has one, but when I add the mobile docking station I get
two. This is still not enough sometimes for what we are asked to do in our
work. The solution is using the laptop USB port with the Belkin USB to
serial cable adapter which has two serial ports. Which brings the total to
4 serial ports. The other way to go is with a USB Hub, then you still have
available USB ports and can make some into serial.

73 Keith
de KE4TEG