[TenTec] Optical Encoder operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Optical Encoder operation
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:23:31 -0400
Good question Mark. You will get all kinds of misinformation about this from
non-technical types out there but here's the facts. As you may already know,
solid state devices do not run depend on a flow of electrons like vacuum
tubes did. Instead, they depend upon a flow of "holes".
In most digital devices, these holes are included at no extra charge however
with TenTec, you must generate your own holes by cranking the optical
encoder. Turning the encoder clockwise forces the holes from the encoder's
output into the digital hole counter, DHC. Turning the encoder counter
clockwise sucks the holes back out of the counter resulting in a lower
frequency.
It's really quiet crude but it certainly works better than PTO grease. 73

Steve Ellington N4LQ.