[TenTec] Orion tx bandwidth

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion tx bandwidth
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:58:26 -0400
> Okay, I'll be the one to ask the stupid question--so there's been a
certain
> amount of enthusiasm expressed over the wide bandwidth which is fine.
What
> about the opposite extreme?  Will the radio allow unintelligible
narrowness
> or impose some lower limit?

I know that the Pegasasus will allow narrow filters on TX. While working on
some experiemental software, I ended up calling a station with a TX filter
of 300 Hz. He was very patient and tried his best to copy me, but it was
tough. I finally realized my mistake and opened up the filter and all was
FB.

For the soundcard modes, I wonder if the Tx filter really matters as long as
it is wide enough to pass all the audio with equal gain. IOW, if I have a 50
Hz wide PSK31 signal and transmit with a 3.9 kHz filter, my output signal is
only going to be 50 Hz wide (assuming, of course that the output of my
soundcard is clean and harmonic-free). I don't see any advantage to using a
100 Hz filter. In fact, given that with PSK31programs you usually move
around the band using different audio frequencies; with a narrow filter,
you'd have to retune your Tx filter every time you changed audio
frequencies.

Mark