[TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation
From: bharen@bellsouth.net (Brian Haren)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:51:23 -0400
    Before buying my Jupiter about 5 months ago I used an IC718 and an LDG
AT-11MP tuner.  The combo was great because the AT-11MP responds to the Icom
auto tuner interface just like an Icom tuner.  Push the IC718 'tune' button
and the tuner automatically kicks in and the radio shuts off the tuner when
SWR reaches (I believe) 1.5:1 or less.  Change bands and the tuner
automatically kicks in.  Very good setup.  I now use the AT-11MP with the
Jupiter and both work great together but there is much more button pushing
involved.  A few weeks after receiving the Jupiter I wrote TT about building
external AT-11MP support into a firmware revision.  It seems to me it should
be easy to port the tuner commands to that unused auxilliary port on the
back of the Jupiter (BTW, anyone know what that port was supposed to be used
for?).  TT wrote back saying, basically, "Good idea, but because of the way
the Jupiter is built we can't do that."  Based on all of the 'so-so' reports
I read regarding the internal tuner I think I'll stick with the external
version.  So, I guess I'll just have to keep pushing multiple 'tune' buttons
for the rest of my life... (really, it's not that bad).

Brian
W8BYH