[TenTec] Ju;iter/Pegasus RS232 Communication vs TCP/IP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ju;iter/Pegasus RS232 Communication vs TCP/IP
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:08:18 -0500
100mb/s was too slow, but 115kb/s was fast enough?
I'll bet my nickel that the problem was just a matter that streaming the
audio was chewing up the data bandwidth, and making the controls stall.
The computer was the bottleneck, not the concept.  If the Peggy was BUILT
with this in mind, I'm sure it'd be smoother.  Obviously, AF in either
dirction need only have monaural fidelity sufficient for the communications
bandwidth.  CW and TX keying needs to have the utmost priority as does AF
audio.  Next in line is tuning control, and then the rest of the controls.
Having a computer decode the AF, then send it to the rig chews up a bit of
'brain' power, so it'd be better to have a dedicated device inside the rig,
so that stripped AF has a place to get pulled off for conversion to/from
digital.
DK  :-)

Dave, VE1ADH wrote:
>I tried controlling my Pegasus in the garage/shack
>from this computer in my basement rec. room using a
>10/100 Ethernet and found it too slow. I am now doing
>it with extended RS-232. I use the cat5 cable I had
>for the net to carry the audio and other controls like
>keying and power on/off etc. The RS-232 uses a
>separate double shielded pair cable.

>--- "Dave Kamp, KW0D" <kw0d@netexpress.net> wrote:
>> Actually, I think it'd be downright cool to have the
>> rig set to op via
>> TCP-IP, and be able to accept and transmit
>> 'streamed' audio, as well as
>> operating commands over the connection, so that a
>> guy could put the machine
>> in say... his garage radio-shack... and hook it to
>> his network between
>> buildings, and take a listen and ragchew from his
>> computer inside the house...

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa