[TenTec] Pegasus Plus observations

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Plus observations
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:42:51 -0400
Lee,

> My system seems to be very touchy regarding serial comm.   It
> uses USB and USB to serial adaptors.   I tried 6 different
> adaptors until I found one that would work with the Ten Tec,
> N4PY and some packet software.

As you have seen, USB to serial adapters don't appear to be the universal
solution promised. I had the same results. I purchased a USB to serial
adapter and it didn't work with N4PY's software nor with my own home brew. I
discovered that the driver didn't support one of the features of serial port
coms and contacted the manufacturer. They were aware of the problem and
allowed me to beta test a new adapter (don't know why they couldn't have
just updated the driver with the existing adapter). The updated adapter
fixed that one problem, but then broke something else. I discovered that I
couldn't run both old and new adapters together as the drivers could not
coexist and each driver only recognized it's own adapters.

Then I figured the solution would be to buy a multi-port serial card (no
USB).  I found that it didn't work either.

I guess we hams are just trying to connect too much stuff to our computers
<g>. I think the real solution would be for equipment manufacturers to
support some sort of multi drop network. Given the state of the art right
now, I would recommend Ethernet and TCP/IP. I don't know how to do it, but I
think someone could have some success building and selling a little outboard
box that would translate Ethernet TCP/IP into RS232 serial. I would think
that it would be doable with a PIC or Basic Stamp chip and a few other
parts.  However, since I've not seen such a device, maybe there's more to it
than that.

73,
Mark

P.S. If anyone wants this idea, they can have it - no strings attached.