[TenTec] The twenty meter user's net

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The twenty meter user's net
From: mnewell1@austin.rr.com (Michael A. Newell, WB4HUC)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:06:13 -0600
Hello all,

NOTE: ALL TIMES ARE GIVE AS UTC,
SO I DON'T HAVE TO THINK ABOUT
TIME ZONES.

I've received several encouraging responses,
privately and via the reflector, about starting
up the twenty meter net again.

Four folks have volunteered to help out with
net control duties, so that makes five of us,
which is a good start.

Only three folks replied regarding net time,
and they all favor a later time, like 0100Z.

My schedule is pretty flexible, and we could
make it earlier rather than later, say around
1800Z. But I don't have a preference, I'll go with
the majority.

It was also suggested that we could pick
another day besides Sunday, perhaps in the
evening during the week.

I don't think 17 meters is an option. There's
only 58khz of SSB bandwidth, and the
band does get pretty busy at times. The HFPACK
group has staked out 18.157.50, and some of
the hi-fi audio group have claimed 18.130. Not
that anyone can actually claim a frequency, but
that's another issue. The point is that I don't
want to add to the clutter.

So...we have volunteers for net control, now we
need a time and place. Right now, 0100Z looks
like the time, unless I hear otherwise. But that's
pretty late for the East Coast folks, so speak
up if that's not good.

I'm still favoring the high end of twenty meters
unless someone has a better idea. I'll spend the
next couple of Sundays listening at 0100Z and
1800Z for a clear spot between 14.330 and
14.350. I know that 14.325 is the hurricane
watch frequency, what else is up there that we
need to avoid?

Ideas? Opinions? Now's the time.

Thanks, and 73,

Mike - WB4HUC