[TenTec] a buzz in my ten tec and yaesu -- WHYYYY???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] a buzz in my ten tec and yaesu -- WHYYYY???
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:48:25 -0600
Hi Bob!

Oh- that's easy... either there's a fly with a micro-chain-saw inside your
Yaesu... and a mouse with a kazooo in your Ten-Tec.  Apparently it they
both hate it when you listen to CW DX...  Stick to SWL'ing the
international broadcasters and ragchewing on AM, and the bugger will be
content.  This can be deduced simply through logic... there simply isn't
enough space for a mouse and kazoo inside your Yaesu...

Actually, it sounds like there's something generating a high amoung of QRM
on a frequency sympathetic to your rigs' IFs... like mebbie the noise is on
some injection freq.  I'd look around for something with a dried-out cap...
or mebbie a TV that had a dusty HV circuit... anything that'd strike a
small arc and oscillate in the higher Khz ranges.  Besides touch-lamps,
other sources I've found include motion detectors, mercury-vaporish yard
and streetlights, doorbell and furnace control transformers that've
developed a short-to-ground, flourescent light ballasts or starters that're
going bad, and sometimes the inverter circuits in Uninterruptable Power
Supplies.  Most of these devices can be temporarily silenced with either a
sledgehammer or shotgun.  Sledgehammer is quieter, shotgun is quick and
stealthy for those hard-to-reach locations (streetlights, neighbor's
livingrooms, etc).  Avoid use of larger explosions and nuclear weapons, as
the resultant EMP tends to damage your rig's sensitive front-end...

DK  :-}

>Ok, here's something that is driving me NUTSSSSS.   Every once in a while as
>i use my Ten-Tec Omni 6+ and Yaesu ft-100D, i get a loud buzz like something
>electrical running.  the noise is on each band, not the whole band, but
>14.020 to 14.096 and on the ssb portion.  also on the other bands....

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa