[TenTec] Omni 6+ Low Power Troubles

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ Low Power Troubles
From: msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mark S. Adams, P.E.)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:51:04 -0000
Hi Gang,

I just called TT about this Thursday as my 6+ is limiting power on all
bands to 15W. (It is amazing I even notices as I run the rig at 1-5W about
99.95% of the time.)

The service guy said that I should be looking at the BAT-41diodes on the LP
Filter board as they are likely damaged by ESD. The other option is the
Motorola power modules. To check these, disconnect the coax from the power
amp module at the LP filter board. Using a dummy load and power meter,
start low and raise power. If you get good power, the LP board is the
problem, if not the PA is the likely the problem. Bear in mind that the PA
will make 150w this way as it is not ALC limited.

Lastly, TT is having a hard time getting PA's and right now they are ~$80
for a matched pair at TT.  RF Parts has them listed for $18/ea but TT says
they are going to be out of stock.

GL es 73,
Mark K2QO

Mark S. Adams, P.E.
University at Buffalo
Occupational and Environmental Safety
220 Winspear Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14215-1034
Tel: 716.829.3707 ext. 25  Fax: 716.829.2704
Cell: 716.863.7229