[TenTec] please help!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] please help!!!
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:41:56 EST
Hola Javier, pardon, por favor,  mi Englis, mi Espanol es muy malo.

First, Omni VI's are very high performance ham band only rigs. Mine tune down
to around 1,760 or so and there is really no good way to "open them up" for
general coverage recieve.

Since there are very few "AM contests" the VI+ does not cover AM and I think
it would be a major project to add it. Congratulations on the two 1.8 kHz
filters - you can adjust the passband tuning knob to either sharpen the
filter skirts or to reduce interference near your recieve frequency. You may
find you like the audio a bit better if you set the PBT control just to the
right of "straight up" on USB, and just to the left of vertical on LSB. This
slightly narrows the bandpass but allows more low frequency response.

The RF power output is quite stable. Once the amplifier is tuned and you are
sure the grid current is below the maximum your amplifer tubes allow, you
should not need ALC. Just watch the grid current as well as power output as
you tune your amplifer and keep the Omni's power output low enough so you do
not overdrive the amplifier.

At one time Ten Tec offered an accessory fan for the digital modes - but
unless you intend to run full power output for an extended period of time you
should not need one. Certainly not for SSB or CW.  However, a small "computer
power supply" muffin fan plugged into the accessory power output jack and set
to blow on the heat sink is all that is necessary.

I have not noticed any odd tones in VOX mode in any of my Omni VI's, but
perhaps someone else on the reflector has. If so, I will defer to them as
they are more knowledgeable than I.

73, Pete Allen  AC5E